Saturday, January 17, 2015

The Poetry Has Value Project


Recently, I was inspired by the poet Dena Rash Guzman's personal challenge to send her poetry to paying markets in 2015. I was so inspired, in fact, that I decided to spend the next whole year submitting poetry ONLY to paying journals and markets, and recording what happens in this blog. I also decided to use this space to simultaneously explore deeper questions of poetry's value and worth (monetary or otherwise.) 

Luckily for everyone, I won't be doing it alone. Here you'll find posts about my experiences over the year, but also lists of paying markets, interviews with and advice from editors and publishers who pay poets, and essays by esteemed friends and colleagues who have opinions on the subject or are participating in this experiment themselves. 

I think it's worth it to spend a year thinking about the system and figuring out what's broken and how we can fix it. I think it's worth it to ask what poetry is worth.

Follow this project, and contribute your ideas, at www.poetryhasvalue.com.

No comments: